The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 86, July 1982 - April, 1983 Page: 230
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
lections of the University of Texas had found a home of their own.
These collections, over those six decades, made possible the first schol-
arly writing of the history of Texas, including such basic works as Bar-
ker's The Life of Stephen F. Austin, Herbert Eugene Bolton's Texas in
the Middle Eighteenth Century, Herbert Gambrell's Anson Jones, Car-
los Castafieda's Our Catholic Heritage in Texas, Walter Prescott
Webb's The Texas Rangers, and hundreds of articles in the Quarterly
of the Texas State Historical Association and the Southwestern His-
torical Quarterly. They would later provide the majority of sources
for Llerena B. Friend's Sam Houston, Ben H. Procter's Not Without
Honor: The Life of John H. Reagan, Joe B. Frantz's Gail Borden,
Robert C. Cotner's James Stephen Hogg, Richard Henderson's Maury
Maverick, Lewis L. Gould's Progressives and Prohibitionists, Ken-
neth W. Wheeler's To Wear A City's Crown: The Beginnings of
Urban Growth in Texas, and hundreds of other monographs, articles,
essays, genealogies, dissertations, and student papers.
The history of the Eugene C. Barker Center does not end in 1950, of
course. The future would bring not only new leaders, such as Llerena
B. Friend, Dorman H. Winfrey, and Chester V. Kielman, but also,
ironically, new quarters. Despite the Alcalde's prediction in 1950 that
the Old Library Building would be "hereafter and forevermore"
known as the Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center, the center re-
mained there for only twenty-one years. A victim of its own success, the
collection soon outgrew its beautiful and distinctive building, moving
in 1971 to the far eastern edge of the rapidly expanding campus.75
Today, the Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center occupies the
mid-section of the 9oo-foot-long Sid Richardson Hall. Linked to the
south with its forever-allied sister agency, the Benson Latin American
Collection, overshadowed to the north by the imposing marble monu-
ment to Lyndon B. Johnson, the Eugene C. Barker Texas History Cen-
ter continues to serve its public, bolstered by the knowledge of its own
75"Barker History Center Opens," 230.
76The Latin American Collection was renamed the Nettie Lee Benson Latin American
Collection in 1975 upon Benson's retirement as librarian.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 86, July 1982 - April, 1983, periodical, 1982/1983; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101209/m1/266/: accessed March 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.