The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 88, July 1984 - April, 1985 Page: 166
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
166 Southwestern Historical Quarterly
of his local law practice had been absorbed by other attorneys.
Throughout the rest of his life he felt like a hunted man. Chilton be-
came an alcoholic and went on periodic binges, followed by short ap-
parent recoveries. On April 11, 1875, A. J. Hamilton, his old nemesis,
died, and two months and two days later the long-standing charges
against Chilton and the others were dropped by the Cameron County
district attorney. The former secessionist and soldier led a troubled
life in Tyler until his death in 1885.84 In the end, A. J. Hamilton's
sought-after retribution, although not obtained in the courtroom, had
surely been achieved in the case of at least one of the men who had
crossed the Rio Grande and entangled himself in a situation so com-
plex that he was never able to extricate himself from it completely.
quoted in Dallas Herald, Sept. 5, 1874 (2nd quotation).
B4Speer, Encyclopedia of the New West, 561; Chilton, "Notebook-Diaries of Horace
Chilton," V, pt. 3, P. 538, pt. 2, p. 375; Waller, Colossal Hamtlton of Texas, 141; Pinker-
ton to V. B., Feb. i3, 1979; Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County,
Texas (San Antonio, 1948), 68.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 88, July 1984 - April, 1985, periodical, 1984/1985; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101210/m1/200/: accessed May 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.