The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 88, July 1984 - April, 1985 Page: 232
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
under the leadership of Justus Ludwig von Uslar, the chief director of
mines. The following December, Eduard Harkort sailed from Ham-
burg aboard the Dido as chief director of the reduction works; he
was accompanied by a group of smelting specialists.8 Harkort arrived
in Mexico in March, 1828. The first year he erected and put into op-
eration stamping mills and smelters near Oaxaca. A year later, he also
assumed the duties of director of mines, after von Uslar had been dis-
missed by the company directors."
Harkort resigned from the Mexican Company in October, 1831,
frustrated and disgusted over the low pay and the high-handed petti-
ness of a superior, the company's new commissioner in Mexico. The
next four months, from October, 1831, to February, 1832, he spent in
leisure and scientific pursuits. Besides some fishing and hunting, he
gave lectures on mineralogy at the recently established Institute of
Arts and Sciences in the city of Oaxaca and classified the mineral col-
lection there. He also worked on several surveying projects for the
state of Oaxaca, and in this connection he was commissioned to pre-
pare a new general map of the state. Just as he was about to set out on
a mapping expedition to the southern coast of Oaxaca, however, a
revolt erupted in the city of Veracruz and launched Harkort on a mili-
tary career that spanned the remaining four years of his life.10
On January 2, 1832, Colonel Pedro Landero had issued a pro-
nouncement against the centralist government of Anastasio Busta-
mante. Landero, who commanded the military garrison at Veracruz,
was joined in this revolt by several other officers in his garrison and
from the harbor fortress, San Juan de Ulia.11 In addition to several
8Report of the Directors of the Mexican Company, Presented at the Second Annual
General Meeting of the Proprietors (London, 1827), 8, o- 11. When Harkort sailed for
Mexico in December, 1827, he went as the replacement for Alexander Popp, who had
already gone with the company's first party of workers in February of that year. Report
of the Directors of the Mexican Company, Presented at the Third Annual General Meet-
ing of the Proprietors (London, 1828), lo; Eduard Harkort, Aus melicanischen Gefdng-
nissen. [Ein] Bruchstiick aus Eduard Harkorts hznterlassenen Papieren, ed. F. Gustav
Kiihne (Leipzig, 1858), 14.
9Harkort, Meficanischen Gefangnissen, 16-18. The chief hacienda de beneficio, or re-
duction establishment, was named "Santa Ana" and was located in the Yavesfa River
Valley, north of the city of Oaxaca. Extracts from the Report of Mr. Justus Ludwig von
Uslar, (Chief Director of the Mines in the Service of the Mexican Company), Relative to
the "Negociacion" of Yavesia in the State of Oaxaca ([London], 1828), 6, 77-79.
loHarkort, Meficanischen Gefiingnissen, 16-23. The Instituto de Ciencias y Artes de
Oaxaca was founded in January, 1827. Diccionario Porrita de historia, biografia y geogra-
fla de Mdxico (3rd ed.; 2 vols.; Mexico City, 1970-1971), I, 1,o73.
11A complete account of the pronunciamiento and of the events leading to it can be
found in Hubert H. Bancroft, History of Mexico (6 vols.; San Francisco, 1888-1888), V,
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 88, July 1984 - April, 1985, periodical, 1984/1985; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101210/m1/280/: accessed March 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.