The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 88, July 1984 - April, 1985 Page: 424
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Cover: First Capitol in Austin. Artist unknown. Courtesy Eugene C.
Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas, Austin.
In 1839 the town of Austin, the new capital of Texas, was platted on a site along
the Colorado River. Its first capitol building, enclosed in an eight-foot stock-
ade, was erected that year at the present intersection of Eighth and Colorado
streets. In the spring of 1842 Mexican troops invaded Texas and prompted the
removal of the government to Houston. The following September the govern-
ment was moved to Washington-on-the-Brazos, but in 1845 it was returned to
Austin. The first capitol building there continued to be used until 1853, when a
stone building was completed on the present capitol site. This second building
was destroyed by fire in 1881 and was succeeded by a temporary capitol. The
present granite capitol was completed in 1888.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 88, July 1984 - April, 1985, periodical, 1984/1985; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101210/m1/424/: accessed January 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.