The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 91, July 1987 - April, 1988 Page: 556
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
556 Southwestern Historical Quarterly
over a period of more than forty years. The collection also includes
rare documents relating to the mining operations around Terlingua,
which Association member Kenneth B. Ragsdale thoroughly docu-
mented several years ago in his book Quicksilver: Terlingua and the Chisos
Mining Company. Koch, a Romanian immigrant who came to the United
States when he was seven years old, died in 1986.
W. D. Smithers, who photographed the Big Bend from the time of
his arrival with a pack train at Camp Marfa in 1916 until his death in
1981, developed his photographic lampshades during the 193os while
living in San Antonio. He had tried gluing glass plate negatives to-
gether to make a photograph large enough to wrap around a lamp-
shade, but finally found film that served his purpose. He employed as
many as fourteen college students at one time to help him lace the
shades onto the frame. Smithers had opened his shop in Alpine by
1948, and finally closed it when the Harry Ransom Humanities Re-
search Center at the University of Texas at Austin purchased his entire
photographic collection in 1969.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 91, July 1987 - April, 1988, periodical, 1987/1988; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101211/m1/628/: accessed September 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.