The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 92, July 1988 - April, 1989 Page: 188
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
interests in 1884 and operated sawmills at Willard, New Willard, Dou-
cette, and Grayburg. The Thompson photographs, which are con-
tained in several bound volumes, are a rare and nostalgic look at early
logging activities in East Texas.
The Texas Forestry Museum has also acquired an important replace-
ment; Old No. 99, the eighty-six-year-old railroad caboose that was de-
stroyed by fire more than a year ago, has risen from the ashes, accord-
ing to Carol Riggs, the museum director. Old No. gg99 was built in 1901
for the Cotton Belt Railroad at Pine Bluff, Arkansas, and operated
from 19go 1 to 1963 between Pine Bluff and Memphis. The A&NR Rail-
road purchased it in 1963 and donated it to the museum in 1974.
The caboose was one of the most popular attractions at the museum
until it burned more than a year ago. It was rebuilt by three Stephen F.
Austin State University graduate foresters under the direction of re-
tired carpenter J. E. Christopher of Lufkin. Stephen Langston, Rick
Rankin, and Michael Schmitt spent their summer break drawing plans
from the original, tearing down the charred remains, and rebuilding
the caboose. A number of East Texas individuals, foundations, and
businesses contributed to the reconstruction.
The Special Collections Division of the University of Texas at Arling-
ton Libraries is pleased to announce that Lewis and Virginia Buttery
will be placing their map collection on loan in the Division's Carto-
graphic History Library. The collection is composed of approximately
450 maps and charts and 40 atlases, dating from 1540 onward. The
Butterys intend to donate portions of the collection each year to UTA.
Association member Gerald D. Saxon, assistant director for Special
Collections, commented that a collection the size and quality of the
Butterys' will "add tremendously to the depth and breadth of coverage
in our Cartographic History Library."
The Butterys chose to place their collection at UTA for several rea-
sons: the Library maintains a separate Cartographic History Collection
in a modern, safe facility; maps receive professional care and are prop-
erly catalogued; and the university recognizes the connection between
science, cartography, history, and art by teaching courses in carto-
graphic history. Moreover, the Buttery collection focuses primarily on
maps about Texas and the Southwest, the same as UTA's collection, so
it is a valuable complement. At least one hundred different cartog-
raphers are represented in the Buttery maps.
For more information about the Buttery Collection, please contact
Gerald D. Saxon, Assistant Director for Special Collections, UTA Li-
braries, P.O. Box 19497, Arlington 76og (telephone 817/273-3393).
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 92, July 1988 - April, 1989, periodical, 1989; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101212/m1/215/: accessed April 26, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.