The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 93, July 1989 - April, 1990 Page: 20
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Cover: Austin, Capztal of Texas, Taken from the Presidents' Hill by William H.
Sandusky, c. 1840. Watercolor and pencil, 13 x 189/16 inches. Courtesy Daughters
of the Republic of Texas Museum.
The city of Austin was founded as the capital of Texas in 1839. William
H. Sandusky, a native of Ohio, assisted with the surveying of the site
and made a map of the town. He later served as registrar of the Gen-
eral Land Office and as secretary to President Mirabeau B. Lamar be-
ginning in 1840. This drawing of Austin probably was made about that
time, for he resigned a year later for reasons of ill health and requested
an appointment surveying the Republic's coast and harbors. He moved
to Galveston in 1842, where he advertised as a maker of maps, charts,
landscapes, and plans of cities and towns, and resided there until his
death in 1846. This is one of the earliest views of Austin, predated,
perhaps, only by Edward Hall's drawing (now in the collection of
the Austin History Center), which was published as a lithograph in
A. B. Lawrence's Texas in 1840o, or The Emigrants Guide to the New Re-
public ... (New York: William W. Allen, 1840). Sandusky's drawing is
reproduced here in honor of Austin's sesquicentennial year.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 93, July 1989 - April, 1990, periodical, 1990; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101213/m1/20/: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.