The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 93, July 1989 - April, 1990 Page: 404
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
respondence, research files, photographs and over 6,00o maps and
plats, which date from 1895 to 1969. J. Stuart Boyles began his survey-
ing career in 1904 and by 1912 he was serving as the Harris County
Deputy Surveyor. In 1913 he was appointed the Harris County Sur-
veyor and was reelected to that position thirteen times until 194o. In
1941 Boyles completed the Padre Island Survey for the state of Texas,
which was confirmed by the United States Supreme Court. In 1955
Boyles was appointed a member of the Board of Registered Public Sur-
veyors and was selected as its chairman in 1958 and again in 1962. In
the 1960os he surveyed over 700,00o acres in twelve Southeast Texas
counties for Time Magazine and Atlantic Refining Company when
they purchased the Houston Oil Company Properties. During his
lengthy career, Boyles specialized in boundary surveys for lawsuits and
coastal boundaries including the Tidelands of Texas. Boyles surveyed
and platted many towns in Texas in addition to many of the subdivi-
sions and additions to the city of Houston. He made the initial bound-
ary survey of the San Jacinto Battlefield Park and built the first road-
ways and utilities for that area. In 1966, he was named the Texas
Surveyors Association Surveyor of the Year. "We are very honored to
have been selected by the Gulf Coast Chapter as the final depository for
the Boyles Archives," stated Robert L. Schaadt, director-archivist of the
Sam Houston Center. "The life work of one of the most famous Texas
surveyors is an outstanding addition to our holdings. The archives are
being organized, inventoried and will be permanently retained for the
The Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center, a part of
the Local Records Division of the Texas State Library, is located three
miles north of Liberty on FM xo x, off of State Highway 146. For fur-
ther information call 409/336-8821 or write to P.O. Box 310, Liberty
77575. The center is open to the public, Monday through Friday, 8:00
A.M. and by appointment.
In the deadline rush for the October Quarterly we failed to mention
two members of the Summerlee Commission on Texas History. David
Gracy, professor in the Graduate School of Library and Information
Science at UT Austin, is the chair of the commission's Task Force for
Archives, and Lynn Denton, coordinator at the Texas Memorial Mu-
seum, is the chair of the commission's Task Force for Museums. The
commission, which is funded by a grant from the Summerlee Founda-
tion in Dallas, is making a comprehensive study of the status of Texas
history. For more information about the commission and its work, con-
tact T. J. Zalar, the director of the project, which is centered at the San
Jacinto Museum of History.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 93, July 1989 - April, 1990, periodical, 1990; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101213/m1/460/: accessed August 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.