The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 93, July 1989 - April, 1990 Page: 432
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
This photograph, which dates from the 1930s, shows construction work for the
University of Texas's McDonald Observatory on Mount Locke. The skeletal
dome shown here eventually housed an eighty-two-inch reflecting telescope,
which was officially dedicated on May 5, 1939, and was at that time the second
largest telescope in the world. A picture of the telescope appears on page 519
of this issue. The construction of the McDonald Observatory brought to a close
the early period of Texas astronomy described in the following article and
ushered in the state's modern astronomical era. Courtesy McDonald Observatory,
University of Texas at Austin.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 93, July 1989 - April, 1990, periodical, 1990; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101213/m1/502/?rotate=270: accessed June 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.