The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 94, July 1990 - April, 1991 Page: 104
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
"Women and Texas History: A Conference" is a statewide confer-
ence on the history of women in Texas that has been scheduled for Oc-
tober 4-6, 1990, in Austin. Co-sponsored by the Texas State Historical
Association, the Texas Historical Commission, the Barker Texas His-
tory Center at the University of Texas at Austin, and Texas Woman's
University, the conference will be a forum to assess the field, discuss the
impact of recent scholarship, share information with others interested
in the history of women in Texas, generate a research agenda, and
create a network of scholars and lay researchers. Sessions will cover an
interdisciplinary array of topics related to women in Texas history, such
as race, ethnicity, gender, class, community building, the arts, region-
alism, myth, culture, teaching about women, and so on. The keynote
speaker is Elizabeth Fox-Genovese, Eleonore Raoul Professor of the
Humanities, professor of history, and director of women's studies at
For additional information, contact Nancy Baker Jones, Conference
Coordinator, Texas State Historical Association, 2.306 Sid Richardson
Hall, University of Texas at Austin, Austin 78712; 512/471-1525. Addi-
tional funding for the conference is provided by the Texas Committee
for the Humanities, the Foundation for Women's Resources, the Col-
lege of Liberal Arts at UT Austin, and the Mexican-American Studies
Center at UT Austin.
Almost 6oo persons registered for the ninety-fourth annual meeting
of the Association in Austin. Thirty scholarly sessions, several work-
shops and receptions, and three banquets more than filled the three
days, along with the joint sessions with ten different organizations. A.
Frank Smith of Houston took office as the forty-sixth president of the
Association, Jim B. Pearson of the University of North Texas at Denton
moved up to first vice president, and Max S. Lale of Fort Worth and
Marshall was elected second vice president. J. C. Martin, director of the
San Jacinto Museum of History Association in Houston, Al Lowman of
the Institute of Texan Cultures, and Lloyd (Cissy) Stewart Lale of Fort
Worth and Marshall were elected to the Executive Council.
Thursday evening's activities began with the opening of the "Rural
Texas Women at Work, 1930-1960" exhibition in the rotunda of the
Capitol. The exhibition was drawn from the files of the Texas Agricul-
tural Extension Service and sponsored by the Texas Historical Com-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 94, July 1990 - April, 1991, periodical, 1991; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101214/m1/128/: accessed September 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.