The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 96, July 1992 - April, 1993 Page: 20
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Cover: Canyon, Fort Davzs-z by Capt. Arthur T. Lee, Eighth U.S. Infantry, ca.
1855. Watercolor, 43/4 X 75% inches. Courtesy Rush Rhees Lzbrary, Universzty of
Located in the Davis Mountains in the vast arid region between the
Pecos River and El Paso, Fort Davis was established in 1854 and named
in honor of the secretary of war, Jefferson Davis. It was one of nu-
merous military posts spread across the Texas frontier in the mid-
nineteenth century to help in the opening and settlement of new ter-
ritory. At the same time that Captain Lee was stationed at Fort Davis,
sketching the fort and its rugged surroundings, Fort Inge was an active
military post on the Leona River. An article on Fort Inge in this issue
highlights the military activity there and offers a detailed look at the
tactics used in fighting Indians.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 96, July 1992 - April, 1993, periodical, 1993; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101215/m1/20/: accessed April 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.