The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 96, July 1992 - April, 1993 Page: 2
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
2 Southwestern Historical Quarterly
right log pickets plastered with mud and whitewashed. During or just
after the Civil War, a low dry-stacked stone wall was built around the
perimeter of the fort.
The establishment of the post attracted a number of corn farmers
who settled in the area. Reading Wood Black bought land one mile up-
stream from the post in 1853, creating Encina as a fort satellite village
in 1855. Renamed Uvalde in 1856, the town prospered well enough to
survive the closing of Fort Inge for Federal service on March 19, 1869,
when the garrison was transferred to Fort McKavett as the Texas fron-
tier line moved further west toward the Trans-Pecos. In 1871 Federal
troops returned to tear down some of the buildings, recovering the
timber and stone to be used in construction at Fort Clark.4
A brief catalog of the better-known officers and units stationed at the
post helps place Fort Inge within the broader range of military activi-
ties on the Texas frontier. In chronological order, the Federal, militia,
and Texas Confederate units assigned to Fort Inge were: Capt. Seth
Eastman and Company D, First Infantry Regiment (1849); Capt. Wil-
liamJ. Hardee and Company C, Second Dragoons (1849-1852); Texas
Ranger William A. A. "Bigfoot" Wallace with the Wallace Texas Rang-
ing Company (1850); the U.S. Mounted Rifle Regiment with Col.
William Wing Loring, Capt. Gordon Granger and Capt. John G.
Walker (1852-1855); the Second U.S. Cavalry with Capt. Edmund
Kirby Smith and Lt. Fitzhugh Lee, along with the Eighth Infantry's
Zenas R. Bliss and William B. "Wild Bill" Hazen (1856-1861). The
Civil War occupation of the post by state and Confederate units in-
cluded the W. P. Lane Rangers, Company A of the First C.S.A. Cavalry,
and the John J. Dix Company of the Norris Frontier Regiment. Re-
claimed by Federal troops in 1866, the final garrisons of the fort in-
cluded Company K, Fourth Cavalry (1866-1868); Company L, Ninth
(Black) Cavalry; and Lt. John L. Bullis with Company D, Forty-first
(Black) Infantry (1868-1869).6
1Quartermaster Records, "Fort Inge," Lt. George H. Steuart to Headquarters, Eighth De-
partment, Aug. 12, 1851, RG 92 (NA); Quartermaster Report of Lt. James M. Barton, Dec. 2,
1851, Fort Inge, H. Exec Doc. 2, 32nd Cong., 1st Sess. (Serial 634), 278-279; M. L Crimmins
(ed.), "W. G. Freeman's Report on the Eighth Milhtary Department," Southwestern Historical
Quarterly, LIII (July, 1950), 71-77 (cited hereafter as "Freeman's Report"); Capt. E. J. Conway
to Adjutant General, District of Texas, "Notes and Map of Fort Inge," Feb. 14, 1868, RG 98
4Reading Wood Black, The Life and Diary of Reading W. Black; A History of Early Uvalde, arr.
Ike Moore (Uvalde: Cahthump Press, 1934), 14-21; Special Orders No. 13, Jan. 16, 1869,
Fifth Military District, Bvt. Maj. Gen. E. R. S. Canby, RG 94 (NA); Post Returns, Fort Clark,
Aug. 1871, Twenty-fifth Infantry Regiment, personal communication, Don Swanson to author,
June 12, 1989, Fort Clark, Tex.
5Post Returns, Fort Inge, 1849-1869; Confederate Post Returns, Fort Inge 1861, RG 109
(NA); James M Day (ed.), Texas Almanac 1857-1873, A Compendium of History (Waco: Texlan
Press, 1967), 499-500, 51o0-511.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 96, July 1992 - April, 1993, periodical, 1993; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101215/m1/28/: accessed November 14, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.