The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 98, July 1994 - April, 1995 Page: 630
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
After the Armour and Swift meat-packing plants opened in 1903, Fort Worth
became the nation's third-largest livestock market. Hundreds of immigrants
flocked to the stockyards for jobs, many directly from ships landing at Galveston.
One of them, Theo Yardanoff, a native of Macedonia, offered calf fries at his
cafe and made the western dish socially acceptable.
During World War I, the Fort Worth Stock Yards horse and mule market be-
came the largest in the world. But by 1970, small feedlots and local cattle auc-
tions brought an end to large livestock terminals. Armour closed its doors in
1962, Swift in 1972.
North Fort Worth, incorporated in 1902, was annexed by Fort Worth in 1909,
apparently without the knowledge of North Fort Worth officials. Meacham Field,
the municipal airport opened on the north side in 1925, scheduled thirty-four
daily flights on American and Braniff airlines during World War II. It was re-
duced to private aircraft and flight schools when Fort Worth built a new airport
east of the city.
Fort Worth's Texas League baseball team, the Panthers-better known as the
Cats-called the north side's LaGrave Field home until 1965, when the team
moved to Turnpike Stadium near Arlington. The founding families of Forth
Worth on both sides of the river are buried in two historic north side cemeteries,
Pioneer Rest and Oakwood Cemetery, where bartenders from Hell's Half Acre,
gunslingers, and cattle barons lie close together.
While residents of Fort Worth looked down on the north side and its smelly
stockyards, north siders developed camaraderie and community spirit. Attorney
Jenkins Garrett, past president of the TSHA and son of Jesse Garrett, longtime
minister of Rosen Heights Baptist Church, believes "once a north sider, always a
North Sider" (p. 157). J'Nell Pate has documented the area and its spirit for
both historians and casual readers.
Fort Worth CIssY STEWART LALE
Texas Forgotten Ports, Vol. 2. By Keith Guthrie. (Austin: Eakin Press, 1993- Pp.
ix+292. Preface, notes, bibliography, index. ISBN 0-89015-878-9. $22.95.)
Hobart Huson: A Texas Coastal Bend Trilogy. By Hobart Huson. (Austin: Eakin
Press, 1994. Pp. vii+159. Acknowledgments, preface, notes, index. ISBN o-
The second volume of Keith Guthrie's trilogy on Texas river ports consists of a
brief analysis of the ports, landings, and ferries that were located on the Red,
Brazos, and Rio Grande Rivers during the nineteenth century. The book, en-
hanced with illustrations by the author's wife, provides an impressive array of
riverboat captains, freebooters, entrepreneurs, and pioneer settlers. Among
them are the Allen brothers, Mifflin Kenedy, Richard King, Jean Lafitte, and
Josiah H. Bell. The book also relates the importance of steamboats to the devel-
opment of the towns along the rivers; how the Red River raft played a significant
role in the emergence of Jefferson as a port which in its heyday was second to
Galveston in tonnage handled; and the movement of people and goods by such
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 98, July 1994 - April, 1995, periodical, 1995; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101216/m1/700/: accessed July 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.