The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 99, July 1995 - April, 1996 Page: 22
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Cover: Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptist Churches, Houston, Texas, March
2oth, 1852 by Thomas Flintoff. Watercolor on paper, 10 x 15 inches.
Courtesy Mrs. Jean D. B. Salvado.
Artist Thomas Flintoff, born about 18o09 in England, visited the United
States in the 185os. Between May 1851 and May 1852 Flintoff visited
Galveston, Austin, Houston, Corpus Christi, Indianola, and Matagorda.
He supported himself by making oil portraits, a number of which are
preserved throughout the state, but he also made several landscapes, in-
cluding a series of five watercolors painted in Houston during March
1852. Flintoff subsequently moved to Australia and died there in 1891.
His Texas landscapes were bought in England in 1910 by the grandfa-
ther of their current owner, Mrs. Jean Salvado of Australia. Mrs. Salvado
brought the five Houston paintings to the attention of Houston officials
in 1984 and presented two of them to the city of Houston, which houses
them in the Houston Metropolitan Research Center. Her collection in-
cludes other Flintoff paintings of Houston, Corpus Christi, and Matagor-
da. Flintoff's paintings provide some of the only known images of
certain early Houston buildings and they are believed to be the earliest
known images of Houston made by a professional artist on the scene.
The watercolor on the cover of this issue shows the meeting places of
three early Protestant congregations in Houston. These churches, and
other religious gathering spots around Houston, were primary scenes of
activity and influence of antebellum Houston women, as described in
Angela Boswell's article beginning on page 27 of this issue. This pastoral
painting views the churches from the southeast, probably on Capitol
Street just west of Main. The churches, from background left to fore-
ground right, are the Methodist Church (1844-ca. 1860), a small brick
building which faced Texas Avenue between Milam and Travis Streets;
the Baptist Church (1847-1877), which stood at Texas Avenue and
Travis; and the Presbyterian Church (1842-1862), which stood on the
northwest corner of Main and Capitol. More detailed information on
Flintoff is available in Pauline A. Pinckney, Painting in Texas: The Nine-
teenth Century, and in Michael Wilson's article "Thomas Flintoff Visits
Houston," Houston Review, III, No. 3 (1986), which was the source of
most of the information for this caption. Our thanks to Mrs. Salvado for
making the painting available for reproduction.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 99, July 1995 - April, 1996, periodical, 1996; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101217/m1/22/: accessed March 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.