The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 99, July 1995 - April, 1996 Page: 596
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
dizzying reading. A book of such infinite particulars also deserves an extraordi-
nary index, but the index here is just adequate.
In summary, however, the authors have put together a single-volume history of
unparalleled detail regarding the twin cities along the Mexican border. For spe-
cialists, or those having more than just a passing interest in the subject, Border
Cuates is not only important, it is essential.
El Paso LEON C. METZ
Hurst, Euless, Bedford: Heart of the Metroplex, an Illustrated History. By George
Green. (Austin: Eakin Press, 1995. Pp. 1o8. Bibliography, index. ISBN o-
89o015-951-3. $16.95, paper.)
The author reviewed early Tarrant County history before beginning the sto-
ries of individual settlers and families who began moving into the area of north-
eastern Tarrant County where these three communities, Hurst, Euless, and
Bedford, lie in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.
Weldon Wiles Bobo moved to the area from Bedford County, Tennessee, in
1870. Although folks wanted to name the settlement that grew up around his
business Bobo's Store, he preferred naming the community after the place from
which he and several of his fellow settlers came; thus Bedford began.
Coincidentally, Elisha Adam Euless, whose mother was Casander Bobo, came
to the area from Bedford County as a bachelor. After marrying, he and his wife
moved three miles east of Bedford, where in 1881 they built a new home and a
cotton gin. When other settlers arrived, local farmers decided to name the com-
munity for Euless.
Also in 1870, William Letchworth Hurst migrated with his family to Tarrant
County from Claiborne County, Tennessee. They lived in the area of present-day
Euless first and then Bedford. When the Rock Island Railroad planned in 1903
to lay a line from Fort Worth to Dallas, the company wanted to cross "Uncle Bil-
ly" Hurst's land. The railroad promised to build a depot there and name it
Hurst. Uncle Billy agreed, but another Texas town with a post office was already
named Hurst. Not until 1909, when the other town lost its post office, was the
Tarrant County town officially designated Hurst.
Green's purpose was to trace the growth of these three communities from
their beginnings to the present through their schools, churches, prominent fam-
ilies, and commercial developments. Important milestones included the 1972
construction of Northeast Mall in Hurst, the largest mall in Tarrant County, and
the 1973 location of Dallas-Fort Worth Airport northeast of Euless.
Green achieves his purpose with a host of information in a brief book. The
book includes more than one hundred photographs, mostly collected and re-
searched by Duane Gage of Tarrant County Junior College, Northeast Campus,
which opened in 1969 in Hurst. The book also includes a bibliography and in-
dex, but disappointingly the numerous people interviewed are not cited; nor are
quotations and other information footnoted.
Tarrant County Junior College, Northeast Campus
J'NELL L. PATE
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 99, July 1995 - April, 1996, periodical, 1996; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101217/m1/674/?rotate=270: accessed June 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.