The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 100, July 1996 - April, 1997 Page: 330
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Cover: Federal Building and Post Office, Fort Worth, by Sweetie Ladd, c.
1975. Hand-colored etching, 11 x 9 inches. Courtesy Ron and Paula
Ileta "Sweetie" Kerr Ladd (1902-1991) was born in Ector, Fannin Coun-
ty, but lived in Fort Worth for eighty-six of her eighty-nine years. She was
the daughter of Edgar Kerr, a pioneer Fort Worth rancher and cattle-
man, and worked for many years in the advertising department of the
Ladd Furniture company, owned by the family of her husband, Homer
William Ladd Sr. Sweetie Ladd began painting at the age of sixty and
was recognized widely for her primitive watercolors and etchings of early
Fort Worth scenes and buildings. She was a charter member of the Fort
Worth Woman's Club, where she studied art with Fort Worth artist Bror
Utter, who told her to cease formal training and paint "what comes nat-
urally." After her untrained, primitive style had gained her a measure of
success, Sweetie Ladd advised a fellow painter: "Just paint poorly, dear."
Like many of the local historians referred to in Richard Selcer's article
on page 361 of this issue, Sweetie Ladd's historical work often focused
on her own and others' memories of Fort Worth's past.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 100, July 1996 - April, 1997, periodical, 1997; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101218/m1/330/: accessed March 30, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.