The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 102, July 1998 - April, 1999 Page: 294
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Fort Davis with Newtown in the background, ca. 1890o. The town of Fort Davis owes its exis-
tence to the establishment of the fort; its closure in 1891 was devastating to the town.
Newtown was platted as the Maxon-Brenner Subdivision in 1882. Its commerce dimin-
ished after the fort closed and the population declined as the area was far from the center
of town. Newtown was largely Anglo in 1890 but by 1910o few Anglos remained. Photograph
courtesy Fort Davis Historical Society.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 102, July 1998 - April, 1999, periodical, 1999; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101219/m1/351/: accessed April 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.