The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 102, July 1998 - April, 1999 Page: 382
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Newtown School students, 191o. In 1910, Newtown was one of two segregated "Mexican"
schools in Fort Davis. An 1894 photo (see page 314 of this issue) shows no Mexicans although
the school was not officially segregated at the time. The creation of"Mexican" schools in 1904
resulted in a great increase in the number of Mexican students in the public schools. Paul
Wright's article, "Residential Segregation in Two Early West Texas Towns," beginning on
page 295 of this issue, discusses patterns of residential segregation in Fort Davis and Alpine
and the effects of segregation and discrimination on schools, churches, and businesses.
Photograph courtesy Archives of the Bag Bend, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 102, July 1998 - April, 1999, periodical, 1999; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101219/m1/439/: accessed December 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.