The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 103, July 1999 - April, 2000 Page: 358
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
blue field) was a popular secession flag and was used in other
Confederate states. The Flag of the Confederacy is not a possibility
because it was first raised in Montgomery on March 4, 1861, and was
likely not seen in Texas until April or May 1861.
The First Session of the Secession Convention of Texas convened in
January 1861. On January 30, 1861, the Committee on Federal
Relations offered an ordinance of secession. Two days later, the resolu-
tion passed by a vote of 166 to 8.2
Immediately after the delegates signed the ordinance, a flag was pre-
sented to the convention by the women of Travis County through
George Flournoy, the delegate from Travis County, and received by
John A. Wharton of Brazoria County.3
Further notice of the presentation occurred February 2, 1861, when
Nathaniel Terry of Tarrant County offered the following resolution,
which was adopted: "Resolved that Messrs. Flournoy and Wharton be
requested to furnish this Convention with written copies of their respec-
tive remarks upon the presentation of the flags by a portion of the patri-
otic ladies of Travis County to this Convention ...."4
The last entry in the Journal of the Secession Convention about this
flag is on March 25, 1861, near the end of the convention, when John
Henry Brown offered the following resolution, which was adopted:
Resolved that a committee of three be appointed to present the Lone Star flag,
heretofore presented to this Convention by a portion of the ladies of Travis
County, to the Governor of the State, with a request that it be preserved in the
Executive Department, to be annually hoisted on the 2nd day of March, and
other important anniversaries in the annals of this State.5
Another version of the scene on February 1, 1861, relates:
The ladies gave their flag to George Flournoy, who with flamboyant oratory pre-
sented it on their behalf to the convention. John Wharton accepted the flag for
the convention and in gallant Southern fashion thanked the ladies of Travis
County for their expression of patriotism. The flag was draped across the
President's stand. Loud cheering broke out once more.6
2Anna Irene Sandbo, "The First Session of the Secession Convention of Texas: Texas on the
Eve of the Civil War," Southwestern Historical Quarterly, 18 (Oct., 1914), 191.
s William Winkler (ed.), Journal of the Secession Convention of Texas x86i (Austin: The State
Library, 1912), 49. The flag was ready earlier. An entry of January 29, 1861 (p. 27) "resolved
that a committee of five be appointed to receive from the ladies of Austin a flag to be tendered
by them to this Convention."
Winkler (ed.), Journal of the Secession Convention of Texas, 66-67. The John Austin Wharton
Papers (Texas History Center, Rosenberg Library, Galveston) contain no items related to flag
5 Winkler (ed.), Journal of the Secession Convention of Texas, 247.
6 Walter L. Buenger, Secession and the Union in Texas (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1984),
148. Behind the rostrum in the current House of Representatives is an old flag, but not the
secession flag. It is the banner from the Battle of San Jacminto.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 103, July 1999 - April, 2000, periodical, 2000; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101220/m1/404/?rotate=90: accessed December 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.