The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 103, July 1999 - April, 2000 Page: 388
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Army won. The last battle described occurred August 6, 1880, between two hun-
dred troops of Col. Benjamin H. Grierson's Tenth Cavalry and from 125 to 150
of Victorio's Apache warriors at Rattlesnake Springs about forty miles north of
the present town of Van Horn in Van Horn County. The battle broke Victorio's
power in the area, and he later surrendered.
In between these two battles nearly a century apart the author covered battles
of the Spanish/Mexican period, battles of the Texas Revolution, battles during
the Republic of Texas, some of the statehood period, others from Civil War
years, and finally the clashes with the Native Americans after the Civil War when
they were making their "last stand" fights against white settlement in West Texas.
Other than the author's leaving out the Battle of Spanish Fort, where the
Spanish fought the Comanches and Wichitas with their French allies near the
Red River in 1759, and the placement of three 1842 battles in the statehood
chapter, one cannot really fault his selection or arrangement of battles and bat-
tlefields in this encyclopedia-like approach. Each battle entry cites the date and
then the categories of "Opponents," "Casualties," "Outcome," "Location," and
whether a "Marker" or museum exists near the site.
While the book is not scholarly in the sense of having a footnote to prove each
bit of information, it does include a bibliography of mostly secondary sources
from which the information came. Even the most knowledgeable person about
Texas history most likely will discover some battles and sites that they did not
know existed from a perusal of this book.
Tarrant County College J'NELL L. PATE
Public History: Essays from the Field. Edited by James B. Gardner and Peter S.
LaPaglia (Malabar, Florida: Krieger Publishing Company, 1999- Pp. 422.
Acknowledgments, introduction, black-and-white photographs, list of
resources, and index. ISBN 1-57-5240-211. $39.50, paper.)
Public History: Essays from the Field, edited by James B. Gardner and Peter S.
LaPaglia, is the long awaited sequel to Public History: An Introduction (1986) edit-
ed by BarbaraJ. Howe and Emory L. Kemp and also published by Krieger. The
earlier anthology was required reading for introductory courses in public history
programs throughout the country, and it served ably for almost fifteen years.
Changes in the public history field-the growth of consulting work and new
technologies, among them-called for an update. So Howe, current editor of
the Public History Series at Krieger, recruited the two editors for the latest vol-
ume. Gardner, now Assistant Director of the Department of History at the
Museum of American History, and LaPaglia, President of the LaPaglia Group
and formerly director of the Wichita Falls Museum and Art Center, have collect-
ed the writings of twenty-six practicing public historians and organized the arti-
cles into three sections.
"Part I: An Overview of Public History" consists of two essays aimed to define
"public history." Patricia Mooney-Melvin writes about what it means to be a pro-
fessional historian and how public historians fit that definition; Constance
Schultz focuses on what makes public history education distinctive. "Part II:
Varieties of Public Historians" includes thirteen articles whose authors write
Here’s what’s next.
Show all pages in this issue.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 103, July 1999 - April, 2000, periodical, 2000; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101220/m1/434/ocr/: accessed December 5, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.