The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 104, July 2000 - April, 2001 Page: 90
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Monument No. 40 (stone), view to the west, marking the U.S.-Mexico
boundary. At the intersection of the parallel and meridian near
Carrizalillo Spring. Photograph by D. R. Payne, 1893-94. In 1857, the
boundary between the United States and Mexico was surveyed and mon-
uments marking it were erected. Only a few decades later, the line
was in dispute, and in 1891 a second U.S.-Mexico commission began
work re-surveying the boundary, and, where necessary, erecting new
markers. Joseph Richard Werne's article, "Redrawing the Southwestern
Boundary, 1891-1896," begins on page 1 of this issue. Photograph repro-
duced by J. Robert Willingham of Southeast Missouri State University, from
Report of the Boundary Commission upon the Survey and Re-marking
of the Boundary between the United States and Mexico . . . Album,
55th Cong., 2nd sess., 1898, S. Ex. Doc. 247 (Ser. 3613)-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 104, July 2000 - April, 2001, periodical, 2001; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101221/m1/118/: accessed August 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.