The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 105, July 2001 - April, 2002 Page: 436
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Deep in the East Texas pine country, the Liberty County community of
Hightower had a population of about one hundred people at the dawn of the
twentieth century. But no community was too small to escape the arm of the law,
which decreed that the Santa Fe railroad provide separate waiting rooms for its
black and white citizens. As was customary for all Texas railroads, the white wait-
ing room was here located at the far end of the building, where windows on
three sides could freely admit light and air. The "colored" waiting room is in its
traditional location between the agent's office and the baggage room, without
much in the way of windows. A company photographer captured this image
from the baggage room end in 1921 as part of a system-wide photograph valua-
tion survey for the Interstate Commerce Commission. Photograph courtesy the col-
lection of William S. Osborn.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 105, July 2001 - April, 2002, periodical, 2001; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101222/m1/436/: accessed May 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.