The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 106, July 2002 - April, 2003 Page: 366
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Mission San Juan Capistrano, San Antonio, Texas, after its restoration. Part of
the chain of five missions established by Franciscan friars between 1718 and
1731, Mission San Juan was located downstream of San Fernando de Bexar on
the eastern banks of the Rio de San Antonio. The mission community relied on
its fertile labores (farmlands) for daily sustenance and economic self-sufficiency.
A gravity-flow irrigation canal or acequia diverted water from the river and is only
one of two historic canals that continue to function in the area. Photograph cour-
tesy the TSHA files.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 106, July 2002 - April, 2003, periodical, 2003; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101223/m1/434/: accessed August 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.