The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 106, July 2002 - April, 2003 Page: 370
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Son Antonio River D Concepcion Acequia
San Juan Acequla
n Pedro San Jose Acequla
Springs oThe Alamo Espada Acequla
Alamo Madre Acequla
Upper Labor Acequla
Main Plaza - San Pedro Acequla
" ,--Mission Coneepcln
Son Pedro Creek l
Mission San dos Mission San Juan
Piedras Creek- '/
0 I000 5280 ( San Antonio River
IRRIGATION CANALS OF SAN ANTONIO
Thomas F. Glick, "Irrigation Canals of San Antonio." Courtesy Thomas F. Glick.
of the fertile lands on the eastern slope of the river. Partially secularized
in 1794, the mission was completely secularized in 1824, including near-
ly five hundred acres of land irrigated by the San Juan Acequia. Among
the grantees were military officers from the Bexar garrison, a former
military chaplain, and four women, each coveting the quality of agricul-
tural lands available at this mission site. A total of twenty-five suertes and
dulas were granted to Manuel Granados, Capt. Juan de Castafieda, Jos6
Maria Cardenas, Luisa Ximenes, Jos6 Montes, Juan Pablo Casanova,
Remigio P6rez, Jos6 Maria Diaz, Maria Luisa de Luna, Mariano
Rodriguez, Santiago Diaz, Francisco Calvillo, Salvador Flores, Teresa
Jim6nez, Gerardo Hernindez, Francisco Cadena, Ygnacio Le6n,
Francisco Maynes, Maria Calvillo, Jose Antonio Saucedo, and Pablo
Salinas. In the years following 1824, changes in land ownership contin-
ued as some of the original grantees sold their titles to others who
wished to augment their holdings, as well as to outside speculators. Maps
in the Water Rights Records of Bexar County documented the property
transfers and by the end of the century most Spanish surnames on the
1824 registry of land grants had been replaced with names such as
William Small, J. M. Kay, James William Tinsley, and others.4
4Almariz, The San Antonzo Mzsszons, 44-47. For a list of the 1824 grants see Appendices C and
D in Almariz, The San Antonzo Mzsszons, and Appendix III in Houghton Brownlee Jr., et al.,
"Memorandum on the Spanish and Mexican Irrigation System of San Antonio," Water Division
of the Office of the Attorney General of Texas, March 1959 (St. Mary's University Law Library,
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 106, July 2002 - April, 2003, periodical, 2003; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101223/m1/438/: accessed May 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.