[213 W. Main]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front of the "Robinson State Bank Building" located at 213 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of red brick with Romanesque Revival detailing and is classified as a One-Part Commercial Block. It has a rectangular plan with load-bearing masonry construction, a 3-bay façade that displays elaborate brickwork, a large round archway marking the primary entrance, and a stepped, 3-part parapet with corbelling. A neon sign hung near the entrance says "Rushing Jewelers, Home of Lucky Forever Diamond Rings."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 60 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front of the "Robinson State Bank Building" located at 213 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of red brick with Romanesque Revival detailing and is classified as a One-Part Commercial Block. It has a rectangular plan with load-bearing masonry construction, a 3-bay façade that displays elaborate brickwork, a large round archway marking the primary entrance, and a stepped, 3-part parapet with corbelling. A neon sign hung near the entrance says "Rushing Jewelers, Home of Lucky Forever Diamond Rings."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

The Robinson Bank Building is a brick commercial building with Romanesque Revival detailing and is classified as a One-Part Commercial Block. Located near the center of Palestine’s historic downtown, the 1-story building features a rectangular plan with load-bearing masonry construction. It has a 3-bay façade that displays elaborate and finely crafter brickwork and a large round archway, which marks the primary entrance. It also has a stepped 3-part parapet with corbelling which are distinctive architectural elements. Dr. James Isaac Bonner and William Brice Robinson were the two founders of the Robinson Bank. Originally from Alabama, Dr. Bonner was one of the earliest citizens of Freestone County. South Carolina native William Brice Robinson (1850-1905), moved from his home state to Fairfield Texas as a young man, and it was there, while practicing law and teaching school that he met Bonner. In 1879 Robinson married Bonner’s daughter, Sallie Belle Bonner. Around 1880, Bonner and Robinson decided to go into business together and open a public banking facility in nearby Palestine. It is said that they were encouraged to open a banking house by their close friends, the Moody family of Galveston. Construction began on a building for the new bank about 1880 in Palestine’s then-bustling New Town commercial district. The bank officially opened on April 1, 1881, under the name Bonner & Robinson, Bankers, and Dealers in Exchange. Robinson was the principle manager of the bank, and following the death of Bonner around 1900, the younger brothers and sister of Robinson came to Palestine from South Carolina to help him run the family bank. At this time, the institution was renamed Robinson Brothers, Bankers. The name of the bank was changed two more times: first to Robinson Guaranty State Bank & Trust Company and then to Robinson State Bank & Trust Company. On December 30, 1937, the bank merged with Royall National Bank, which had been formed in 1904 in Palestine by Nathaniel R. Royall. The bank was moved into the Royall bank facility and no banking operations have been conducted at 213 W. Main since then. Over the years, various tenants occupied the space, including jeweler William Geyer, the R.G. Abernethy & Son general insurance firm, and the Rushing Jewelry Store. A prominent neon sign from the Rushing Jewelry store hung on the façade for many years. Thanks to the current owner, Phil Jenkins, a descendant of James Wisdom Ozment, who was an extremely important figure in mid and late 19th century Palestine, it is among the best preserved buildings in the downtown and maintains its historic character to an unusually high degree. He has done a fine job of having this building renovated. It sets a wonderful example, showing that just because a building is old, it is not worthless. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 9, 2006, 11:13 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 14, 2014, 1:05 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 60

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.762193, -95.633107

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [213 W. Main], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10143/: accessed September 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.