[638 S. Magnolia]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and south side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 24 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and south side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

This 2-story dwelling is an excellent illustration of the Georgian Revival style, an early 20th century architectural form rarely found in Palestine. This house is further distinguished by its load-bearing walls, which are a contrast to the prevailing wood-frame construction used on most domestic buildings in Palestine.

Noted architect and New Jersey-native James Frith Brook (who was responsible for numerous Palestine buildings, including the Redlands Hotel), designed this house for Dr. J. Calvin Silliman in 1911. C.S. Maffitt was the contractor, but some also believe that he was the architect, instead of Mr. Brook.

The story goes that the foundation for the house was installed and had to stand for several months before construction on the dwelling could begin. The outside brick walls were constructed first and then the inside studs and walls were built. The carriage house, located in back, dates back to the first owners of the lot, a Dr. Swinney, whose home was moved to allow for the building of this home.

Silliman sold the house to his cousin, John H. Silliman in 1915, when he moved his family to California. A Mississippi native, J.H. Silliman was the proprietor of Silliman and Company – a Palestine business founded in 1871, and one of the largest hardware stores in the region. Silliman married Laura Brook, the architect’s daughter, in 1920 and they lived here until sometime in the 1940’s.

Mr. and Mrs. Walter Willis purchased the property from the Silliman’s and they lived there until 1973, when it was sold to the Bailey family.

Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 9, 2006, 9:52 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 13, 2017, 10:53 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 24

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.756066, -95.631434

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [638 S. Magnolia], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10171/: accessed December 15, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.