[1003 N. Link]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and north side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 37 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and north side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

In early 1993 a major renovation of this house was underway; notheless, the house is one of the most noteworthy historic residential landmarks in the city. Stylistically, the building is a hybrid of Queen Anne and Classical Revival elements. The asymmetrical massing of the house is typical of Queen Anne dwellings of the late 19th century, but the imposition of a balanced and formal Classical Revival portico completely changed the character of the building. The combining of these two distinctly different architectural forms has brought about one of the most unique historic dwellings in Palestine.

Dr. Henry Harnsbarger Link (1820-1890) built a small house on this site in the mid-1850’s for his wife Hypatia McGee Link (1829-1888). A Tennessee native, Dr. Link came to Anderson County in 1846, and is considered to be one of Palestine’s earliest physicians. He gradually expanded his small house as his medical practice flourished. Their eldest son, Dr. Henry R. Link, inherited the house in 1912, and began a major restoration which transformed the house into the grand two-story Classical Revival dwelling that exists today. The original rooms now form the house’s front hall.

Another of H.H. Link’s sons, Dr. Edwin W. Link, in 1895 built a grand Queen Anne-style house across the street, at 925 N. Link, on land which was originally part of the Link family homestead. The Link family was responsible for the construction of several other notable historic buildings in Palestine, including the Gregg-Link building at 101 W. Spring and the Link building at 521 N. Church.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 4:07 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • April 8, 2014, 5:44 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 37

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.769168, -95.629124

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [1003 N. Link], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10222/: accessed December 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.