[925 N. Link]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the "Edwin and Eva Link House," located at 925 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. The house has Queen Anne-style architecture.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 256 times , with 4 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Architect

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the "Edwin and Eva Link House," located at 925 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. The house has Queen Anne-style architecture.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

This property is one of the most outstanding examples of Queen Anne-style architecture in Palestine. The house features exceptional craftsmanship that has been preserved to the present. There are remarkably few alterations, and the property retains its integrity to a high degree. The house is one of the most significant in all of Palestine.

Prolific local architect Theo Miller designed this house for Dr. Edwin William and Eva Link in 1897; Miller designed a number of impressive residences in Palestine, including the expansion of the Dilley House at 805 S. Sycamore.

Dr. Link (1858-1937) was the son of Dr. Henry Harsnbarger Link, a pioneer East Texas physician who had been practicing medicine in Palestine since the mid-1840’s. E.W. Link was himself a physician, receiving instruction from both his father and professional medical schools. For many years he maintained a medical practice with is brother, Dr. H.R. Link. E.W. Link was active in the social and religious life of Palestine; he was a member of the board of trustees of the local public schools, and also was an elder in the First Presbyterian Church.

This house sits on land considered part of the Link family homestead; the elder Dr. Link’s original house still stands across E. Pine at 1003 N. Link. The Link family was responsible for the construction of several other notable historic buildings in Palestine, including the Gregg-Link Building at 101 W. Spring and the Link Building at 521 N. Church.

This house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 - Building #80004073.
This photograph was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 3:53 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 31, 2014, 4:28 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 4
Total Uses: 256

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.768423, -95.62901

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [925 N. Link], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10226/: accessed October 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.