[910 E. Lamar]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the west side of a one-story brick house located at 910 E. Lamar in Palestine, Texas. It has Spanish Colonial Revival-style elements, including the use of stucco at the front entrance and the use of ceramic tile on the roof.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 19 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the west side of a one-story brick house located at 910 E. Lamar in Palestine, Texas. It has Spanish Colonial Revival-style elements, including the use of stucco at the front entrance and the use of ceramic tile on the roof.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 910 E. Lamar taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. Most of Palestine’s houses erected during the 1920s and 1930s either had Craftsman or Tudor Revival architectural features. This house, however, is one of the few with Spanish Colonial Revival elements, as seen most prominently by the use of stucco at the front entrance and the use of ceramic tile on the roof. Only four residences in the city display this kind of detailing. According to the current owner, Mrs. Beulah Fotopulos drew the original plans for this house in the early 1930s. Prominent local architect Theodore Maffitt, Sr., then drew formal, measured blueprints based on her plans. A Mr. Bernard was the contractor for the house, built in 1933, while a Mr. Kraus was the brick-layer. Mrs. Fotopulos and her husband, Harry T. Fotopulos, owned and occupied the house for the next several decades; later, it was owned by their daughter. Mr. Fotopulos owned a shoe repair shop at 210 W. Main in downtown Palestine. A garage was added to this house between 1945 and 1950.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 3:49 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Aug. 9, 2018, 9:25 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 19

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.758547, -95.619406

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [910 E. Lamar], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10228/: accessed September 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.