[1020 E. Lacy]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of a white, two-story house located at 1020 E. Lacy in Palestine, Texas. It has some center-passage-style architecture (mainly the small gables on either end); most notably, the house has Classical Revival-style architecture, particularly the two-story portico and square columns.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 69 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of a white, two-story house located at 1020 E. Lacy in Palestine, Texas. It has some center-passage-style architecture (mainly the small gables on either end); most notably, the house has Classical Revival-style architecture, particularly the two-story portico and square columns.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 1020 E. Lacy taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. This 2-story frame dwelling appears to have undergone several remodelings since its original construction. A 2-story portico dominates the façade, but the small gables at each end of the front suggest that the dwelling was originally a center-passage house and was altered during the early 20th century. In its present form, the house displays features of the Classical Revival style. According to the current owner, this was the home of Dr. H.J. (Hal) Hunter during Palestine’s earliest decades. The house was built about 1869, and is described in an 1883 Palestine Advocate article as being one of the “most beautiful” homes in the city, with “the greatest variety of roses in Palestine.” The house is believed to have had the first residential telephone in the city. Hunter’s father, D.C. Hunter, owned the famous Hunter Hotel, located just off the courthouse square during the mid-19th century. H.J. Hunter earned his medical degree in Louisiana in 1861, and immediately afterwards went to fight for the Confederacy. After the war he moved to Palestine and set up a medical practice. He organized the first medical society in the city, and also led the movement for a railroad hospital. In 1873, he became co-owner and editor of the Trinity Advocate. During the 1920s through the 1940s, this house was owned and occupied by G.C. and Clara Selden. Mr. Selden was an employee of the railroad; the adjacent street may be named after him.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 9, 2006, 2:16 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 2, 2014, 3:36 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 69

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.765358, -95.621173

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [1020 E. Lacy], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10246/: accessed November 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.