[310 E. Kolstad]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of a white, two-story, Classical Revival-style frame house located at 310 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. The most impressive feature is its pedimented portico with 2-story Ionic columns.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 29 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of a white, two-story, Classical Revival-style frame house located at 310 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. The most impressive feature is its pedimented portico with 2-story Ionic columns.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 310 E. Kolstad taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. The most impressive feature of this 2-story frame house is its pedimented portico with 2-story Ionic columns. These architectural elements are indicative of the Classical Revival style, an architectural expression that attained a degree of popularity locally during the 1900s and 1910s. This house, which is virtually unaltered with its historic integrity largely intact, is one of the premier examples of this style in Palestine. An addition was made to the rear of the house in the 1940s. According to the current owner, V.D. Wilson had this house built in 1907, and he lived here himself until 1909, when it was purchased by W. Wright. Wright owned and occupied the dwelling until 1919. From that year until 1944 the house was owned and occupied by Alfred Alonzo Brooks and his wife Rebecca. During the 1920s Mr. Brooks was an employee of the I&GN Railroad; later, he was superintendent of the Reclamation Plant for Missouri Pacific.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 12:52 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 4, 2014, 9:01 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 2
Total Uses: 29

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.767456, -95.629051

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [310 E. Kolstad], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10274/: accessed October 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.