[707 N. Jackson]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front of a white, one-story T-plan-style frame house located at 707 N. Jackson in Palestine, Texas. It has a front projecting wing and includes distinctive architectural features such as the eave returns in the gable end.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front of a white, one-story T-plan-style frame house located at 707 N. Jackson in Palestine, Texas. It has a front projecting wing and includes distinctive architectural features such as the eave returns in the gable end.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 707 N. Jackson taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. The front projecting wing on this 1-story frame residence typifies the form of the T-plan house, a derivation of the L-plan house. The eave returns in the gable end are distinctive architectural features. Few changes detract from the property’s historic character. Though this house appears to date to around 1900, city directory research was only to trace its occupancy to 1926, when Frank Fitzpatrick lived there. Mr. Fitzpatrick was the proprietor of the Main Garage and Machine Shop, located downtown at 502-4 W. Main. By 1935, the house was owned and occupied by T. Reilly Fluellen and his wife, Viola, who remained in the dwelling for the rest of the decade. Carl S. Dickson, an inspector for the Texas Highway Department, and his wife, Mary, lived here in the early 1940s.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 9:12 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Feb. 27, 2017, 12:35 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 8

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.765586, -95.637295

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [707 N. Jackson], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10296/: accessed November 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.