[503 E. Hodges]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house painted red with white trim, located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. The house has large trees on either side and the open front yard and sidewalk are visible in the foreground.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 693 times , with 11 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house painted red with white trim, located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. The house has large trees on either side and the open front yard and sidewalk are visible in the foreground.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 503 E. Hodges taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. This house is one of three grand residences on the north side of Hodges Street and is among the finest local illustrations of the Queen Anne style. The corner tower with its conical roof dominates the façade, which has a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. The property retains its integrity to a remarkable degree and it remains a prominent local landmark. Born in Robertson County, Texas, John Randolph Hearne (1854-1930) moved to Palestine in 1876 after attending college in Virginia. An active local businessman, Hearne operated retail drug stores in both Palestine and Dallas, and helped organize (and served as president of) the Palestine National Bank. Hearne’s parents invested heavily in real estate along the Brazos River; the town of Hearne is named after the family, which donated the acreage upon which that town now stands. This house was built in 1896 on land given to Hearne as a wedding present by Colonel George R. Howard, when Hearne married Howard’s daughter Emma in 1883. Howard himself lived nearby at 1011 N. Perry. Hearne personally selected the pine and oak lumber used in the house’s construction; the red brick veneer was added in 1902. Prominent San Antonio architect Luther McKlemurry designed the house; the firm of Scott and Sammons served as contractors. The house is now for sale. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 8:23 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • July 10, 2018, 12:09 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 11
Total Uses: 693

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.770377, -95.627378

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [503 E. Hodges], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10308/: accessed July 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.