[707 W. Giraud]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front of a white, one-story L-plan frame house located at 707 W. Giraud in Palestine, Texas.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front of a white, one-story L-plan frame house located at 707 W. Giraud in Palestine, Texas.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 707 W. Giraud taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. Although it does not display any stylistic ornamentation, this 1-story frame dwelling is a noteworthy local example of an L-plan house. This house form was first built in Palestine in the 1880s and remained popular until the early 1910s. This property is significant because it has changed little over the years, and its integrity is largely intact. City directories from the early 20th century show a number of different people living in this house, rarely for more than two or three years at a time. Some of the occupants included: John H. Jones, in 1926; Samuel A. and Vera Elrod, in 1935; and Fannie McDonald, in 1941.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 7, 2006, 6:13 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • July 8, 2014, 12:52 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 7

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.756093, -95.63851

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [707 W. Giraud], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10331/: accessed October 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.