[400 Block W. Debard]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the south and east sides of the Palestine Masonic Temple located on the corner of W. Debard and N. Queen streets in Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story brick building and has the words "Masonic Temple" and a Masonic symbol on the front (south side); the third-floor windows along the front have also been filled in and have other decorations or symbols on them.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 90 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the south and east sides of the Palestine Masonic Temple located on the corner of W. Debard and N. Queen streets in Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story brick building and has the words "Masonic Temple" and a Masonic symbol on the front (south side); the third-floor windows along the front have also been filled in and have other decorations or symbols on them.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

This building, located on the corner of West Debard and North Queen streets was erected in 1918 by the First Congregational Church and was used by them until 1937, when the church ceased to exist. It sat vacant until the members of the Palestine Masonic Lodge opted to purchase it in 1945 and convert the church into a suitable meeting hall for the lodge. The first meeting held in the new lodge was on May 10, 1946, at which Brother M.T. Byrnes was the oldest Mason present. The first degree was a Fellowcraft, conferred that same day on Brother J.L. Bailey by Past Master Rush H. Smith.

Dedication of the Temple took place on May 17, 1946, with the introduction of District Deputy Grand Master, the Honorable W.C. Wylie, followed by the principle speaker, the R: W: Bruce Bannon, Deputy Grand Master, Grand Lodge of Texas.

Over the years, minor changes have been made to the building, including permanently closing seven windows on the 3rd floor of the Temple, but all in all the building has remained basically the same. A Texas Historical Marker was dedicated in 1996 with a plaque that states that the Lodge was established in November 1848, and the organization was noted as being one of the oldest in Anderson County. It is important to note that the marker does not celebrate the building, but the Palestine. Organization itself.

Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 1:45 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 17, 2014, 6:08 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 90

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.763981, -95.634634

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [400 Block W. Debard], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10353/: accessed November 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.