[215 W. Dallas]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and west side of the "James Healy House," a white, two-story house located at 215 W. Dallas in Palestine, Texas. It has some Queen Anne-style architectural features, including the turned and jig sawn-wood porch trim, the bracketed eaves, and the gabled extensions with shingle siding. The front and west side of the house at 213 W. Dallas is also visible to the right of the Healy home. It is also a white, two-story house, but lacks distinctive ornamentation aside from the round columns along the front porch. A portion of the brick house at 211 W. ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 52 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and west side of the "James Healy House," a white, two-story house located at 215 W. Dallas in Palestine, Texas. It has some Queen Anne-style architectural features, including the turned and jig sawn-wood porch trim, the bracketed eaves, and the gabled extensions with shingle siding. The front and west side of the house at 213 W. Dallas is also visible to the right of the Healy home. It is also a white, two-story house, but lacks distinctive ornamentation aside from the round columns along the front porch. A portion of the brick house at 211 W. Dallas is visible on the far right of the image.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 215 213 W. Dallas taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. In this picture, 215 is the house on the left. The house on the right is #213. Although the application of asbestos paneling over the original wood siding and the partial enclosure of the front porch detract from its overall historic character, this 2-story frame residence is one of the best preserved examples of a common house form in the neighborhood south of the city’s historic downtown. The house displays a stylistic influence suggestive of Queen Anne architecture, as seen by the turned and jig sawn-wood porch trim, the bracketed eaves, and the gabled extensions with their shingle siding. According to city directories, Mr. and Mrs. James Healy lived in this house (originally known as 216 Dallas) along with their son as early as 1898-99. By 1926, however, Mr. Healy had died and his widow lived here along. In the mid-1930s the house was occupied by Robert M. and Jean R. Spence. By 1941, Waldo K. Buchen, a brakeman for Missouri Pacific, lived here with his wife, Margaret.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 1:35 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 13, 2014, 6:38 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 52

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.75719, -95.633403

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [215 W. Dallas], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10356/: accessed October 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.