[817 N. Cottage]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the "Stockbridge House," a light-colored, one-story frame house located at 817 N. Cottage in Palestine, Texas. It is a modified L-plan house with some Queen Anne-style ornamentation.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the "Stockbridge House," a light-colored, one-story frame house located at 817 N. Cottage in Palestine, Texas. It is a modified L-plan house with some Queen Anne-style ornamentation.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 817 N. Cottage taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. Many of the other historic dwellings in the neighborhood that includes this 1-story frame house have been moderately to severely altered. Porch changes detract somewhat from this building’s historic character, but the property remains a good local example of a modified L-plan house with modest amounts of Queen Anne-style ornamentation. In 1926 this house belonged to L. Stockbridge. By 1935, however, the dwelling was owned and occupied by James Arnold Mann and his wife Ethel, who remained there into the 1940s. Mr. Mann was an electrician for Missouri Pacific.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 12:21 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 11, 2014, 4:32 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 9

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.765168, -95.643095

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [817 N. Cottage], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10383/: accessed December 13, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.