[513 N. Church]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front of a commercial building located at 513 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. It is a brick building, classified as a One-Part Commercial Block, on the west side of the courthouse square; other brick buildings are connected on either side. It has a chain-supported sidewalk cover across the front and a sign in the window says "Suds."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 21 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front of a commercial building located at 513 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. It is a brick building, classified as a One-Part Commercial Block, on the west side of the courthouse square; other brick buildings are connected on either side. It has a chain-supported sidewalk cover across the front and a sign in the window says "Suds."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 513 N. Church taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. This brick building, an example of a One-Part Commercial Block, is on the west side of the courthouse square. Until the 1870s when the first railroad reached Palestine, this area served as the central business district. After the railroad extended its line into Palestine, most commercial activity shifted southwest towards the depot. Land near the courthouse assumed a secondary position as a center for commerce and trade, and this building serves as a reminder of that trend. The property is also a good and relatively intact example of a common property type.

Both halves of the building at 513 N. Church are presently occupied by attorneys Hicks and Hicks, though at the time that this picture was made, the building was vacant and the window still carried the sign of one of its occupants, Suds, which was a social club. Also, since this picture was taken, a red canvas awning has been installed over the sidewalk and the chain supported sidewalk cover has been removed.

It was built in the early 1890s, the lot having been vacant since the 1879 fire, and was for the first ten years of its life the location of J.H. Bentley’s Saloon, with a restaurant occupying the north half. From 1926 through at least 1941, the building was occupied by the Herbert C. Williams Grocery. Mr. Williams and his wife Clara lived nearby at 902 N. Mallard. It was renovated in the 1920s, with additions made in the rear, which were used as a warehouse through the 1940s. It has often been vacant since.

In the years before the fire, however, it was one of the most popular locations for businesses, a part of Commercial Row known as the “Brick Front,” probably the only (partially brick building along the west side at the time. In the earliest days, it was the site of the Elson and Templeman Store before it moved to “Steamboat Corner” at the north end of the block, then the Oppenheimer Dry Goods Store. For a time, it was J. Crawford’s store, then in 1873, it was occupied by A. Fineberg’s store. At the time of the fire it was a building owned by Shumatte and Weidemeyer and occupied by the stores of Harrison and R.M. Hawkins.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 11:19 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 16, 2014, 6:14 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 21

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.76483, -95.626777

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [513 N. Church], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10395/: accessed April 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.