[913 E. Calhoun]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front entrance and part of the west side of Mount Vernon African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church, located at 913 E. Calhoun Street, in Palestine, Texas. The brick building is a Gothic Revival-style building that has large towers on two of the corners with steep pyramidal roofs.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 237 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front entrance and part of the west side of Mount Vernon African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church, located at 913 E. Calhoun Street, in Palestine, Texas. The brick building is a Gothic Revival-style building that has large towers on two of the corners with steep pyramidal roofs.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Historic Mount Vernon AME Church is neatly nestled on Calhoun street in what is known as Old Town Palestine. In 1873 Judge John H. Reagan deeded a piece of property located in Old Town to freedman, Fred Mills saying, “Whereas I desire that the Colored people of this vicinity shall have a place to worship and educate their children…” This piece of property was located on Mulberry and Birch Streets. Union Church was erected on this site. The Missionary Baptists and African Methodists would alternately hold services at this location. Several years later the African Methodists would withdraw from Union Church in order to construct their own church. On May 10, 1878 the young congregation purchased property from Henry Davis and erected a small frame church and called it Mt. Vernon A.M.E. Years later the congregation through the “mile of nickels” campaign raised money for a new church. In 1921 a new brick building replaced the original frame structure at 913 E. Calhoun St. This structure still serves its current members.

In the 1890’s the members of Mt. Vernon A.M.E. were instrumental in the formation of Palestine’s Grant Chapel AME Church located on the corners of South and Dorrance.

Mt. Vernon A.M.E. Church is recorded as the third oldest A.M.E church in Texas and is reported by the Texas Historical Commission as being home to the oldest African-American congregation in the city. At one point its membership was recorded at 500 and by the mid 1990’s it was approximately 130.

In 1985 the members applied for a marker with the Anderson County Historical Commission. The maker was placed in 1986. Mt. Vernon A.M.E. is also registered with the National Registry of Historic Places. Historic Mt. Vernon A.M.E. is one the cities oldest and best preserved historic churches and is a noteworthy example of the Gothic Revival Style. The members today still carry on the traditions of A.M.E. style worship.

Two large corner towers with steep pyramidal roofs are the dominant physical features of the façade and help to instill a sense of verticality to the church. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 9:47 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 18, 2014, 6:29 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 1
Total Uses: 237

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.76793, -95.62295

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [913 E. Calhoun], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10423/: accessed September 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.