[501 Avenue A]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of the "Nickel Church" located at 501 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It has Gothic Revival-style architectural details including the pointed-arch windows of the corner towers. There is a sign above the glass doors in the center of the building that says, "...Beauty Service Center."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 285 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of the "Nickel Church" located at 501 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It has Gothic Revival-style architectural details including the pointed-arch windows of the corner towers. There is a sign above the glass doors in the center of the building that says, "...Beauty Service Center."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

This building, located at 501 Avenue A, was originally a church, and some of the property’s original Gothic Revival detailing, such as the pointed-arch windows of the corner towers, is still visible. The property is indicative of the most popular architectural style used in the design of ecclesiastical buildings of the late 19th century. According to Mrs. W.C. Williamson, this building was constructed in 1882 as the Avenue A Baptist Church (also known as the Nickel Church, since it was supposedly built with nickel contributions). The church occupied the building until 1911, when a fire severely damaged the building. Eugene Fore bought the burned building in February 1912 and began renovations, which included the removal of the two steeples and flattening of the roof. Three years later Ed Williamson purchased the property, and converted the second floor into his private residence and the first floor into an automobile (Studebaker) showroom. The first floor later served for several decades as first a laundry and then as a grocery. The Williamson family owned the property from the mid-1930’s until at least the early 1990’s. It now houses an antique store. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 1:18 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • July 11, 2018, 9:58 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 2
Total Uses: 285

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.763205, -95.628886

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [501 Avenue A], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10430/: accessed September 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.