[410 Avenue A]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the corner of the building.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 20 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Architect

Donor

  • Palestine (Tex.) Provided financial assistance for the Historical Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas.

Others

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the corner of the building.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

The First Presbyterian Church of Palestine was organized November 3, 1849 by Reverend Daniel Baker and Reverend J.N. Becton, home missionaries of The Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. There were 18 charter members and the first minister was Reverend A.M. Becton. For the first few years, the Presbyterian Church shared a place of worship with other groups, but a steady growth in membership made it necessary to build its own church. Consequently, a small brick church was erected on North Church Street. On March 7, 1887, the church bought a lot on Avenue A, and the cornerstone for this sanctuary was laid on July 12, 1888. The architects for the project were Dudley and Dudley, the contractor was G.T. Scott, and the builder was Joseph Frederick Wolff. Mr. Wolff also made the bricks from clay excavated from a pit that later became Spring Park Lake. The sanctuary is of Gothic design, and contains beautiful leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. The ceiling was hand painted by an itinerant German craftsman, and has not been retouched since it was originally done by the artist. The lovely silver spire was added in 1890 by G.T. Scott, contractor, and C.S. Maffitt, builder. On November 6, 1889, Miss Pauline Jowers and George D. Hunter were married in the first wedding ceremony held in this new building. The original sanctuary was restored in 1986. Photograph of the 500 Block Avenue A taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 1 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 5, 2014, 6:53 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 20

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.763032, -95.629237

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [410 Avenue A], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10432/: accessed October 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.