[324 E. Angelina]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and west side of the "Eppie Campbell House," a two-story, modified L-plan, blue house with white trim, located at 324 E. Angelina Street in Palestine, Texas. It has a large hipped roof with gable-roof wings, and round columns along the front porch.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 51 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and west side of the "Eppie Campbell House," a two-story, modified L-plan, blue house with white trim, located at 324 E. Angelina Street in Palestine, Texas. It has a large hipped roof with gable-roof wings, and round columns along the front porch.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Mrs. Eppolina Michaux "Eppie" Campbell had this building constructed around 1910, following her marriage to Lt. Benjamin Campbell, who was killed at Gettysburg. She bought the land from the trust her father had created to protect the original 640 acre Michaux farm. In addition, she was owner of the Star Theater, which was located on W. Spring Street. She died in the house in 1930 at 86 years of age.

Thomas S. Scarborough, a clerk for Missouri Pacific, and his wife Nina resided here during the mid-1930’s.

By 1941 the house was occupied by Wallace M. and Frances Kimbrough; Mr. Kimbrough was an assistant county agent for Anderson County.

Modified L-plans, houses with large hipped roofs with gable-roof wings, became a fashionable residential form during the 1890’s and remained popular into the 1910’s. This property, located at 324 E. Angelina Street, is a noteworthy example. Though almost 200 such houses survive in the city’s historic neighborhoods, few retain their integrity to such an exceptional degree.

This photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 8, 2006, 12:08 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • May 9, 2014, 2:48 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 51

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.755227, -95.626254

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [324 E. Angelina], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10437/: accessed September 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.