[839 N. Tennessee]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of a one-story, white, L-plan frame house located at 839 N. Tennessee in Palestine, Texas. It has a large bay window on the left side of the house and Queen Ann-style embellishments along the roofline and the porch. The house was built in 1885 and was owned by Arcola Herrington until the time of her death.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 49 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of a one-story, white, L-plan frame house located at 839 N. Tennessee in Palestine, Texas. It has a large bay window on the left side of the house and Queen Ann-style embellishments along the roofline and the porch. The house was built in 1885 and was owned by Arcola Herrington until the time of her death.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

This one-story frame residence is one of Palestine’s premier examples of an L-plan house. Like so many other L-plan houses, this property has Queen Ann-style architectural embellishments, but few other examples have such a high degree of craftsmanship and intricate woodwork. Particularly noteworthy elements include the bay window on the front and the bargeboard in the gable end. Rear additions detract somewhat from the property’s overall historic character, but their relative obscurity from the street minimizes their impact on the structure’s integrity. According to the current owner, this house was built in 1893. The earliest known owners were A.S. Grant, who lived here about 1905, and J.P. and Daisy Branch, who resided here around 1910. Mrs. Lucille K. Noblin owned the house from about 1915-1935, though it is believed she used it as a rental property. She was followed by Mrs. M.K. Helm, who owned the house from the late 1930s until about 1944. Arcala N. Herrington owned the house from 1944 through the 1970s.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume V, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 16, 2006, 2:03 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • July 11, 2018, 11:39 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 1
Total Uses: 49

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.768586, -95.636292

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [839 N. Tennessee], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10450/: accessed November 13, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.