[418 N. Tennessee]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of one corner of the St. Mary's Academy complex located on the 500 Block N. Tennessee in Palestine, Texas. The brick building has several segments and a portion of the tower over the front entrance is visible in the background.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 39 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of one corner of the St. Mary's Academy complex located on the 500 Block N. Tennessee in Palestine, Texas. The brick building has several segments and a portion of the tower over the front entrance is visible in the background.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Threatened with demolition at the time the historic resources survey report was being prepared, the St. Mary’s Academy Building encompasses a large lot in the west end of the Palestine’s central business district, behind the Sacred Heart Catholic Church. The two-story brick facility has an H-shaped plan with a central rising from the “Hyphen”. Gothic Revival stylistic features are seen most prominently at the primary entrance, with its pointed-arched opening, and the tower. Relatively few changes detract from the property’s historic character and integrity. St. Mary’s Academy was originally a Catholic girls school founded in 1877 in a small, wooden, three-room building. In 1885 the school was moved to this site. This building was built in 1901; the architect is unknown. It is part of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church complex, which forms the core of the vibrant local Catholic community in predominately Protestant East Texas. It was torn down in 1993 to make room for new buildings for the parish.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume V, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 16, 2006, 1:23 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Oct. 20, 2014, 5:25 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 39

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.763611, -95.635124

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [418 N. Tennessee], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10462/: accessed December 12, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.