[806 S. Sylvan]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and south side of a white, one-story, Craftsman bungalow-style house located at 806 S. Sylvan in Palestine, Texas. The porch has square brick columns and there are red-brick accents around the foundation along the side of the house.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and south side of a white, one-story, Craftsman bungalow-style house located at 806 S. Sylvan in Palestine, Texas. The porch has square brick columns and there are red-brick accents around the foundation along the side of the house.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

The most common kind of house built in Palestine from the mid-1910s to the 1930s was the Craftsman bungalow, and the historic resources survey identified over 800 examples. This house is one such property and is significant because it is virtually unaltered. The earliest known owners of this house were Dr. Charles F. Card and his wife Barbara, who purchased it in 1920. Dr. Card was a physician and surgeon with offices in the Link building. In 1928 Dr. Allen D. Wages and his wife Lela acquired the house, and they and members of their family owned the house until the 1980s. Dr. Wages was an ear, nose and throat doctor.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume V, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 16, 2006, 1:15 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Oct. 20, 2014, 5:17 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 7

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.753557, -95.62545

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [806 S. Sylvan], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10464/: accessed November 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.