[814 S. Sycamore]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and side of the "Pennybacker Campbell House," a 2 ½-story, white, frame, Queen Anne-style house located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 40 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and side of the "Pennybacker Campbell House," a 2 ½-story, white, frame, Queen Anne-style house located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

In plan and form, this 2 ½ story frame dwelling is typical of the many large Queen Anne-style houses found in the neighborhood south of downtown. A deed states that the land was transferred on February 6, 1890, from J.T. Pells and S.R. Pells to Oscar B. Sawyers, secretary of the Palestine Loan Association. Sawyers built his home on the lot a short time later and he and his wife Carrie Jones Sawyer lived there until December 19, 1893. The story goes, a local man named Mart Lacy notified Judge Gardner and Dr. Jameson, a local doctor, requesting that they come to the Sawyers’ residence. When they arrived, they found Sawyers dead and his wife wounded. It is speculated that this was a suicide pact that failed, possibly due to financial trouble that Sawyers was apparently experiencing. The Palestine Loan Association turned its claims over to Gregg and Gardner to collect and bring suit. Mrs. Sawyers waived all right to the administration of Sawyers estate on January 24, 1894. The home was appraised at $6,000 and was bought by Percy V. Pennybacker and his wife Anna for $5,000. Pennybacker served as superintendent of the Palestine schools until his death in 1899. Mrs. Pennybacker was a prominent local social leader, and was the author of the first Texas history textbook to be used in state schools, titled “A New History of Texas for Schools”. After Mr. Pennybacker’s death, Mrs. Pennybacker moved to Austin, where she was instrumental in the formation of the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs. On June 22, 1900, she sold the house to Thomas Mitchell Campbell and his wife, Fannie Bruner Campbell. Mr. Campbell had been appointed receiver of the I&GN Railroad in 1891 and in 1893 he became general manager of the railroad. He was elected governor of Texas for two terms in 1907 and 1909. In 1911, Campbell returned to his law practice and helped to found the Campbell State Bank, which later grew into the East Texas National Bank. About 1922, local architect Theodore Maffitt, remodeled the house, enlarging it to its present size and adding a porch along the front and the south side of the house. Among the treasured items in the home is a grandfather clock which was presented to the governor in recognition of his reforms in labor legislation. A marble bust of Campbell, done by Pompeo Coppini and given to him by the state legislature, is also in the house. The house is still owned by descendants of Governor Campbell.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume V, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 10, 2006, 6:17 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 18, 2014, 1:49 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 40

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.754378, -95.629671

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [814 S. Sycamore], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10488/: accessed October 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.