[911 N. Sycamore] Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title [911 N. Sycamore]
- Series Title Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine
Photographer: Hardy, Heck, MooreCreator Type: Organization
Donor: Palestine (Tex.)Contributor Type: Organization
- Creation: 1991-06
- Digitized: 2006-03-06
- No Language
- Content Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a light-colored, two-story, modified L-plan house located at 911 N. Sycamore Street in Palestine, Texas. It has a front porch with with square supports that have molded caps and a fenced balcony above. Part of the front yard is visible as well as trees on either side.
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Homes
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Buildings
- Keyword: houses
- Keyword: historic buildings
- Keyword: Historical Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas. 1989-1991
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
- Time Period: mod-tim
- Place Point: north=31.767127; east=-95.632659;
- Coverage Date: 1991-06
Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2006Code: SG06
Name: Palestine Public LibraryCode: PPL
- Rights Access: public
- Accession or Local Control No: an-911-n-sycamore
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metapth10548
- Digital Preservation: creationAppName: Adobe Photoshop creationAppVersion: 7 creationHardware: Epson Perfection 4990 Photo
- Display Note: The majority of modified L-plan houses in Palestine are 1- or 1 ½-story buildings; however, this property is one of the few local examples that rise to a full two stories in height. In all likelihood, the original porch was two levels and wrapped around the front (east) and side (south) elevations. The present 1-story porch appears to have been built around 1915 because the square supports with molded caps are slightly suggestive of the Classical Revival style. Despite this major and other relatively insignificant changes, the house still retains much of its integrity and is reflective of the kind of houses that some of Palestine’s more affluent citizens built around the turn of the century. This building historically has been divided up into apartments, housing renters such as G.K. Bill, an employee of the I&GN Railroad, and his wife Anna, who lived here during the mid-1920s. By 1935 May Rogers had purchased the house, and she lived here in one of the apartments through the 1940s. She was also the owner of the Quality Shop, which sold ladies’ wear downtown at 208 W. Oak.
- Display Note: Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume V, Color Slides, June 1991