[920 W. Swanitz]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and side of the "Lincoln School" located at 920 W. Swanitz in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building that served as a school for African-American students from 1923 until integration in Palestine during 1965. This building was demolished after a 1999 fire. A sign on the corner says: "Anderson County Community Council community Center, 723-5101, Our One Constant: Service to Humanity."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 199 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and side of the "Lincoln School" located at 920 W. Swanitz in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building that served as a school for African-American students from 1923 until integration in Palestine during 1965. This building was demolished after a 1999 fire. A sign on the corner says: "Anderson County Community Council community Center, 723-5101, Our One Constant: Service to Humanity."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 920 W. Swantz taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. In 1891, the first high school for African-American students in Palestine opened n the Mission church on San Jacinto Street. Four years later, the school moved to this site and became known as Lincoln High School. The first class graduated from Lincoln in 1896. Originally a four-room building, the schoolhouse was expanded over time to accommodate increasing enrollment. In 1922, the Lincoln School building burned, and classes were held in several churches until the new, six-room brick structure was completed in 1923. As rural districts consolidated with Palestine, enrollment at Lincoln continued to increase, and the school became an important cultural center for the African-American community.

In 1952, the school board approved construction of a new high school, to be named in honor of Alonzo Marion Story, Lincoln’s principal from 1925 to 1949. The building that had formerly housed the high school reopened as Lincoln Junior High in the fall of 1953. Serving grades five through eight, it later housed grades two through eight before closing in 1965 when the Palestine schools integrated.

After 1965, the Lincoln School building remained in use as an important social center and as headquarters for the Anderson County Community Council. A fire on September 21, 1999 resulted in its demolition, but this site remains a significant part of the educational and community heritage of Palestine and Anderson County.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume V, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 16, 2006, 11:20 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • April 16, 2014, 5:17 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 1
Past 30 days: 3
Total Uses: 199

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.755841, -95.641343

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [920 W. Swanitz], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10558/: accessed October 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.