[519 S. Royall]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 19 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Most of the large, late 19th century residences in the neighborhood south of Palestine’s historic downtown feature wood-frame construction; however, this opulent dwelling has brick load-bearing walls. The house displays Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. The fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan are also suggestive of the Queen Anne style. Local brick manufacturer and Massachusetts-native Daniel N. Darling built this house in 1881; it is one of the oldest brick dwellings in the city. John Young Gooch (1848-1904) purchased the home soon after its construction; he was a prominent local lawyer who at one time was partners with John H. Reagan in the law firm of Reagan, Greenwood, and Gooch. Gooch also served as a state senator and as mayor and District Judge of Palestine. Judge Benjamin Howard Gardner (1854-1947) and his wife Carrie Bonner Gardner purchased the house in 1892. A native of Alabama, Mr. Gardner was another prominent local lawyer; he served as County Attorney for Freestone County, District Judge for the Third Judicial District, and was appointed by the Texas Supreme Court to be chairman of the Board of Legal Examiners. In 1899 the Gardners oversaw a major remodeling of the house, including the addition of porches, several rooms on the north side, and abundant Queen Anne detailing. Judge Gardner’s daughter, Luella Gardner Kolstad, and her husband, P.A. (Drew) Kolstad, purchased the house in 1948, and extensively remodeled the home during 1949-50. Palestine architect Theodore Maffitt oversaw this renovation, which included the removal of the porches which had been added earlier. Mr. Kolstad was co-owner of Kolstad Jewelers, Palestine’s oldest business, and was a director of the First National Bank of Palestine.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume V, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 10, 2006, 12:43 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Oct. 30, 2014, 6:49 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 19

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.755843, -95.628668

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [519 S. Royall], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10584/: accessed October 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.