[Biography of Gertrude Johnson and Winnie Johnson] Page: 1 of 4
This paper is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2017 and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Eanes History Center Westbank Community Library District.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church
Women of the Church
SISTERS-IN-LAW: TWIN PILLARS IN COMMUNITY CHURCH
Gertrude (Mrs. Frank A.) Johnson
Winnie (Mrs. E W.) Johnson
Two charter members of Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church, Austin, Texas,
served a Presbytery-sponsored community mission for four decades before
it became a church, and have continued to be faithful participants in the life
of that church. The Women of the Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church want
to thank these two ladies, Mrs. Gertrude Johnson and Mrs. Winnie Johnson,
for their work through-out the ycars, by conferring on them Hionarary Life
Memberships in the Women of the Church.
Gertrude Jung was born in Austin, Texas on October 16, 1895. She was
raised in a Lutheran family and went to St. Paul's Lutheran School in Austin
as a young girl. When she married Frank A. Johnson in-1913, her part in
the shaping of the Eanes Community began. At that time. Eanes was a rural
community in the hills immediately west of the Colorado River and the city
of Austin. Frank, one of eleven children born to-the Henry Johnsons, had
grown up on a farm in the area. He and Gertrude soon contributed three more
Johnson boys to the clan, Albert, Randolph, and Chester.
One of Frank Johnson's brothers, Ed W. Johnson, married Winnie Sarah George
in 1915. Winnie is a native of Hayes County, having been born near Dripping
Springs, Texas on October 28, 1895. During the first 20 years of their marriage,
Winnie and Ed became the parents of ten children, and endured the heartache of
losing three of these in early childhood. Five sons and two daug hers grew to
adulthood: Edward, Leonard, Dudley, Cecil, Kathrine Gene, and Winifred.
The Johnsons knew the importance of raising tlh-ir children in Christian homes
and of letting them share in a felLowship of other Christian families. So when
a Camelit minister and a student from the Austin Presbyterian Theological
Seminary discovered their rural community and began a ministry for its resi-
dents, the Johsons were among those families who brought their children to
the one.-room frame school building for Sunday School and worship services.
Eanes Chapel, as the building was called, later became a mission of University
Presbyterian Church. When a stone building was built to house the church and
the vomen prepared hot meals and brought them to the building site for their
The Johnson ladies recall helping with Bible School in the open air during
summers. Often the women got together to make quilts for an orphanage in the
Itasca, Texas, or clothes for the poorer families in the area so that their
children could go to school. They remember organizing box suppers to earn
money when the stone building was being constructed and later to buyaran
forthe worship services. Each Christmas Winnie Johnson went to a loc piano-
cery store to ask for donations of fruit, nuts, and candy which the a en gave
Page 7 6egv
Here’s what’s next.
This paper can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Paper.
Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church. [Biography of Gertrude Johnson and Winnie Johnson], paper, 1971; (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth1065509/m1/1/: accessed November 22, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Westbank Community Library District.